Catherine Chen, founder and managing partner of AvantFaire, moderated a very lively panel at the Startup Impact Summit 2020 held on 8 July 2020.
The discussion, titled “Impact & Entrepreneurship in a World of Change”, was highly engaging and succeeded to present the various opportunities and challenges that entrepreneurs face the world over. The panelists, who are the up-and-coming thought leaders in their respective fields, discussed how to build impactful, scalable, and resilient businesses from the ground up. The key takeaways of the discussion were:
- the determining factor to attract capital to fund new ventures is the presence of a bustling ecosystem enabling knowledge building and transfer, flow of ideas, and collaboration
- forward-looking and flexible working environments have proven to be an asset in challenging times like the COVID-19 pandemic
- Impact investing looks at markets and future trends from a brighter, more positive perspective, which enables to more effectively capture the J-Curve potential value creation
- businesses that integrate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) aspects into their enterprise risk management system tend to be more resilient, and thrive also in times of crisis (e.g. COVID-19). These businesses tend to attract capital no matter what is happening in the world, and their quest for good and brave actions shines through in difficult times
- Investors look at Theory of Change and how to measure it, and use this is as a primary screening to understand what measures companies have in place to cope with change